Saturday, February 15, 2014

Revisiting Jacquard Dyes - Dyeing fiber with Jacquard Acid Dyes

So it has been a long time since I first posted my dyeing results. Since that time I have been spinning yarn and last year I final started dyeing fiber. 

I wanted to share first one of my favorite how to s

She poured the dye directly onto the fiber.  I do not. instead I use a glass pyrex cup to take some hot water out and add the dye to the water.  I stir and then pour that water with the dye and a bit of acid to the fiber.  If I want at to do a kettle dye, I add the dye and acid first. Let cool and then add the wet fiber to the dyebath.

Now here is one dye job I recently did. 

Here is some white and brown Shetland. 

I now use citric acid instead of vinegar as the smell is much less intense for me. So the fiber is soaked in plain water. In the dyebath I add acid and a pinch of salt which slows down the speed of color absorption so that all the fibers get a more even amount color. 


 One of my favorite things is getting a more complex shade by adding lots of colors to get not colors. Here I added 4 colors to get this red. 


Fresh off the pot starting to dye

Almost dry. 


Totally dry compared to undyed Shetland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment