Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Purple and Green with Liquid Food Color

One of the challenges of dyeing with food color are purples and blacks.
In both cases the problem is Red #3.

As you can see here the red and blue separated, the blue was as absorbed quickly and evenly, however the resulting dye in the post was mostly red.  The result was a yarn that has lovely blue undertones and deep pink overtones. Now will the yarn itself is pretty, but its far from purple.  ugh.

That said, I had much more success in my green efforts! I was going for a light spring green with hints of soft yellow.  My first green was mostly a flop, but I learned some important lessons.

Here is my flop, next time I share my success and the lessons I learned.  I think they call it a cliffhanger :) !


No comments:

Post a Comment